Shrine of St. Joseph, Guardian of the Redeemer


 In March 1949 the Oblates prayed a novena to their patron, St. Joseph. A benefactor appeared on December 8, 1949, and deeded a parcel of bayside property to them to be used for religious purposes. Ground-breaking for the construction of a seminary and chapel took place on September 30, 1951. By July 29, 1952, the first Mass was celebrated in the chapel. In March 1952 Bishop Willinger had granted permission for pilgrimages to this "shrine." He blessed the chapel on August 31, 1952, as a "semi-public oratory dedicated to St. Joseph."



544 West Cliff Drive               Santa Cruz, CA 95060

(831) 471-0442